By Sheridan Tax & Bookkeeping
If you are a parent as well as a telecommuter or home business owner, count your blessings. Studies show that 80% of women and 40% of men would stay home to raise their families if they could. Research also indicates that productivity rises 15% to 25% when work is done at home vs. the office, and self-employed people are more productive than others. The above statistics are from the book, Working from Home, by Paul & Sarah Edwards.
Here are five suggestions if you are a parent working from home.
1. You can’t run a business effectively and give adequate attention to your children at the same time. Set your office hours and hire a babysitter or enlist a family member to supervise your children during office hours. Be available for emergencies.
2. Delegation is the key to every successful business and if you have no family members to delegate to, you either have to outsource it to others or do it yourself when the children are asleep. In my opinion, the latter route is not an option.
3. As the children get older, you can delegate to them. Let them learn while they earn. They will not only get to know what Mom or Dad does for a living, they’ll be a part of it.
4. A home business can be compatible with a family. But don’t make the mistake of thinking you can raise a family while talking to a client on the telephone. You need to establish office hours and get family members and friends to respect those hours.
5. You need structure and self-discipline. Set hours that are convenient for yourself and your family as well as your clients.
Live in the Tampa area and want to find out more about me...CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE