Sunday, January 1, 2012
7 tips to keeping New Years Resolutions
Let's face it...it's not easy keeping a resolution. We all start off with good intentions so why do they so often fail?
To help you keep your New Years resolution this year I am posting 7 tips and tricks the professionals use to keep them on track.
1) Write your resolutions down and look at them often. Be SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely).
2) Make an action plan complete with deadlines but be realistic. Not being realistic will set you up for failure before you even begin. For example, don't say you want to lose 20 pounds in a month. This only will discourage you when it doesn't happen.
3) Find a buddy with the same types of goals/resolutions to help you be accountable such as a work out buddy or higher a coach or professional organizer. Interested in a business Professional Organizer or efficiency consultant...I give FREE consultations.
4) Be consistent & stick to it. It takes anywhere between 21 days to 66 days to make a habit.
5) Come up with a reward system when you hit your milestones thoughout your way to the goal.
6) Track your progress. Make short term goals toward your main goal. Keeping a journal is a great way to go through and work out why things are working or not for you. Write the pros and cons as you go through your progress.
7) Lastly, keep trying. Each day is like a bank account and everyone goes to the same bank...Father Time Bank. 1440 minutes is deposited into everyones bank account and it's up to us on how you spend them.
Hopefully, these tips & tricks will help you keep those New Year resolutions and bring you closer to your goals.
I'd love to hear from you about any ideas you have that help keep you on track.
Check out my website for more about my company and how I help small businesses.